The Hidden Library
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Speaker Tags Discussion

Go down

Speaker Tags Discussion Empty Speaker Tags Discussion

Post by Paper Ghost 27/1/2019, 05:05

As I'm getting ready to actually do some writing I'm wondering where you guys stand on speaker tags. For the first several years of writing I used a variety of verbs but then switched to just "said". Now I'm not sure what I want to use. Which do you think is better?
Paper Ghost
Paper Ghost
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Speaker Tags Discussion Empty Re: Speaker Tags Discussion

Post by D.M.G. 27/1/2019, 15:13

That's a tough one I would say

As in, there is so many words so it is tempting and there should be variation to not be boring, but then again, you also need to be clear, so sometimes using sommfink else than "say" can be counterproductive

I think it's better to have a middle
D.M.G.
D.M.G.

Back to top Go down

Post by Paper Ghost 28/1/2019, 02:46

I've read a lot of articles about it. There is no consensus about which is better. I've seen compelling arguments for both sides. The arguments are basically this:

- Using "said" keeps the focus on the dialogue itself because it is an "invisible" word. It's expected so the reader would read it but not focus on it because it contains no strength. Essentially it's less distracting and can make the dialogue stronger.

- Using a variety of verbs (whispered, shouted, etc) enhances the dialogue because it better describes how it is delivered. By that same token, it shifts attention from the spoken words and places it on the tone of the speech. However, such verbs are much stronger that "said" and can be distracting.

I guess it comes down to whichever the author feels like using. I've been thinking about it (obviously) and I think I'm going to try to mix-and-match them. Try to be in that "middle" like you said.
Paper Ghost
Paper Ghost
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Charlatan 11/8/2019, 23:32

The reader just has to deal with it, when my stuff is written, the name is placed before it most of the time like
Charlatan: "I say its fine to be clear, but if its obvious or a swift intense trade of lines, dont mark the speaker."
Charlatan
Charlatan
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Back to top Go down

Post by Paper Ghost 12/8/2019, 23:54

I guess it really depends on the format to decide what is best.
Paper Ghost
Paper Ghost
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum